Zucchini Omelet Roll Filled With Creamed Chicken & Cheddar Cheese
There's no better way to start the day than with a zucchini-lined, chicken-stuffed, cheesy omelet roll!
- 2 large zucchini
- 8 eggs
- 2½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 diced chicken breasts or 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp flour
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the zucchini into thin slices and lightly salt them. For the best results, microwave them in a closed container for about 2 minutes.
2. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, grease it lightly with olive oil or cooking spray, and arrange the zucchini slices as shown in the video.
3. Crack the eggs in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk with a hand mixer. For an especially creamy omelet roll, add 1 tsp baking powder and 2 tbsp milk.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the zucchini slices and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add some butter to a pan over medium heat, and once it has melted, add the diced shallots and minced garlic and cook until glassy. Stir in the flour and let the mixture cook briefly.
6. Stir in the chicken broth and heavy cream and bring to a boil.
7. Add the diced chicken breasts or ground chicken to the pan, season with salt and pepper, add the crème fraîche, and mix well.
8. Remove the zucchini omelet sheet and parchment paper from the sheet pan and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
9. Spread the creamed chicken over ⅔ of the zucchini omelet sheet.
10. Roll up the zucchini omelet, remove the parchment paper, and bake at 325°F for 15 minutes.
If this dish feels too heavy first thing in the morning, it makes the perfect "breakfast for dinner" dish. But no matter when you eat it, it will be worth it! You can find the recipe for the Chipotle Tuna Salad Bread Roll featured in the bonus video here.