Tuna Salad Sandwich Roll With Homemade Chipotle Sauce
You always have canned tuna at home, right? So put it to good use! Tuna makes a great addition to any dish and the following recipe is certainly proof of that. If you can't decide between tuna salad or a tuna sandwich, this is the recipe for you because it lets you have the best of both worlds without having to make a tough decision.
For the tuna sandwich roll:
- 2 loaves of sliced bread, crusts cut off
- 8 oz corn
- 14 oz canned tuna
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 6 oz peas
- 2 red onions, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
For the chipotle sauce:
- 3 oz onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 oz ketchup
- salt to taste
For the cream:
- 14 oz cream cheese
- 3 oz mayonnaise
- 3-4 tbsp chipotle sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- halved cherry tomatoes
- fresh parsley
- green olives
1. Place 16 overlapping slices of crustless white bread on a piece of plastic wrap and flatten them with a rolling pin.
2. For the chipotle sauce, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions and garlic until translucent. Add the chili powder and sugar and let simmer. Stir in the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Add the ketchup and cook for 5 minutes while stirring. Season with salt and puree the sauce for a smooth consistency.
3. Add 3-4 tbsp of the chipotle sauce to a bowl and add cream cheese and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper and mix everything together.
4. Spread ⅓ of the cream over the bread.
5. Dice the tomatoes, red onions, and jalapeños. Add them to a bowl with the peas, corn, and tuna and mix well.
6. Spread the tuna mixture over the cream-covered bread, leaving a 1-inch free margin along the edges, and use the plastic wrap to help you roll it up.
7. Place another 16 overlapping slices of crustless white bread on the edge of the tuna bread roll and roll them flat. Coat the bread with another ⅓ of the cream and the rest of the tuna mixture, and roll up the entire thing. Refrigerate the tuna bead roll for at least 2 hours.
8. Pour the remaining cream into a piping bag and garnish the roll with it, along with cherry tomatoes, green olives, and fresh parsley.
A super light dish that's easy to prepare and works for both lunch and dinner — this chipotle tuna roll is really something else!
You can find the recipe for the Chicken Alfredo Garlic Roll featured in the bonus video here.