Spaghetti Mozzarella Surprise: Yeast Rolls Stuffed With Pasta Bolognese & Cheese
Chances are, when you think of Italian food, you think of pizza or pasta. And while we love pizza as much as the next guy, today we've chosen to focus on pasta, also known as the original comfort food. Another common feature in Italian cuisine is mozzarella, but instead of combining the two in one dish, we decided to literally COMBINE the two INTO one dish. And if that weren't enough, we opted to wrap that pasta-stuffed mozzarella bomb in a buttery yeast roll for a doughy finish. You are quite welcome.
For the yeast dough:
- 10½ oz flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp yeast
- 8 fl oz lukewarm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
For the spaghetti mozzarella surprise:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 8 oz ground beef
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 fl oz red wine
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- salt & pepper
- 6 oz cooked spaghetti noodles
- parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- grated parmesan
- 3 mozzarella balls
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare the dough by mixing the above ingredients. Form a dough ball, place in a bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and leave in a warm place for one hour. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti noodles in a pot of boiling water, drain, and set aside. Fry the garlic, onion, and carrot in a pan with some olive oil, stir in the ground beef until browned, and then add the tomato paste.
2. Add the red wine and tomato sauce to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the spaghetti noodles and chopped parsley.
3. Slice the top of each mozzarella ball to form a "lid." Create a hollow in each ball with a knife, scoop out the inside in one piece, and attach to a fork.
4. Swirl the fork in the spaghetti bolognese, place the portion of noodles and cheese inside the mozzarella ball, and close the "lid."
5. Divide the yeast dough into three pieces. Roll out the dough, place a closed pasta-stuffed mozzarella ball in the middle, and seal the dough ball. Repeat with the other two mozzarella balls. Brush each dough ball with an egg wash, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, and cook for 15 minutes.
Meaty pasta, creamy mozzarella, and a doughy yeast roll – it doesn't get any better than this!
You can find the recipe for the Mini Tomato Mozzarella Rolls featured in the bonus video here.