Mozzarella sticks with a tomato filling — an ode to a finger food recipe!
Who doesn't like pasta? And who can honestly say no to finger food? Well, this fun recipe uses probably two of the best known ingredients from Italian cuisine to create the perfect party snack. So what are you waiting for? Put away that knife and fork — and dig in!
For the mini rolls:
- 24 mini mozzarella balls
- 6 cannelloni
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped up
- 2 tsp Tabasco sauce
For the coating:
- vegetable oil
- First boil the cannelloni for three minutes in lightly salted water and refresh them briefly in cold water. Then cut them in half so that you have 12 short cannelloni tubes in front of you. pull a cannelloni tube over each mozzarella ball.
- Next, fry the garlic in oil before adding the tomatoes, parsley, Tabasco sauce and salt. Let everything cook until the sauce becomes thick and creamy.
- Fill a resealable freezer bag with the sauce and close it. Now, make a small cut in a corner of the bag. You've now made a practical piping bag of sorts that you can use to fill the cannelloni with the tomato sauce — but don't fill them right up to the edge, as you'll need another mozzarella ball to "seal" each one of your cannelloni tubes.
- Now it's time to work on the coating. Add flour, breadcrumbs, and a few whisked eggs to three separate bowls. First, roll the cannelloni in the flour, then the egg before adding the breadcrumbs.
- To finish, deep-fry your sticks at 340°F in oil until they're a nice golden color.
As you'll see, these tasty treats will disappear quickly, so you might want to have ingredients ready for a next batch! Aside from the Christmas buffet, these delicious little sticks are also great for keeping you going on those colder winter days. Yum!