No One Can Resist This Puff Pastry And Potato Ring Surrounding A Baked Camembert
There's a celebration coming up and you don't know what party snacks to serve? There are plenty of easy appetizers to choose from, but this finger food recipe will help your party make an impact with something a little bit different. With mashed potatoes and a ring of puff pastry, this sun-shaped dish is not only easy to prepare, but it's sure to be a big hit with all the guests.
For the ring:
- 2 lbs cooked potatoes
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- salt, pepper
- ½ bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 slices crude ham, cut in strips
- 2 circular sheets of ready-made puff pastry
- beaten egg yolk for glazing
- 1 camembert cheese whell
1. First, for the filling, put the cooked potatoes in a bowl and mash them well with a folk. Then fold in the crème fraîche, salt and pepper, chives, shallots and ham and mix everything thoroughly.
2. Now lay one of the puff pastry sheets out on baking tray lined with baking parchment. Spread the mashed potato mix on it in a ring and press it down a little. Leave a border around the edge just under one inch and leave enough space in the middle so that the camembert will fit.
3. Place the second pastry sheet on top. Press the top sheet down onto the bottom one along the outer edge with your fingers, then press down to form a mold in the middle of the ring.
Next, press the prongs of a fork all the way around the outside edge.
4. Now make cuts all the way round the ring at intervals of roughly an inch. Next, turn the segments created by this through 90° so that the filling faces upwards.
5. Next, glaze the entire surface of the pastry with the egg yolk. Before you place the camembert in the middle, cut a circle and then a cross in the cheese rind.
6. Now bake the ring for 40 mins in a convection oven at 390°F — then enjoy!
If you like the idea, but are looking for a vegetarian option, you can try our Spinach Sunburst. And if you can't decide which you'd prefer, you can surprise your guests with both recipes!