Cheesy Mashed Potato Puff Pastry Ring
Got a get-together coming up and don't know what party snacks to serve? There are plenty of easy appetizers to choose from, but this finger food will really help you make an impact. With mashed potatoes and a ring of puff pastry, this sun-shaped dish is not only easy to prepare, but it's sure to be a big hit with all the guests!
For the ring:
- 2 lbs cooked potatoes
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ bunch of chives, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 slices of ham, cut in strips
- 2 round sheets of puff pastry
- 1 whisked egg for the egg wash
- 1 camembert cheese wheel
1. For the filling, put the cooked potatoes in a bowl and mash them with a folk. Then fold in the crème fraîche, salt and pepper, chives, shallots, and ham and mix everything thoroughly.
2. Lay one of the puff pastry sheets on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Spread the mashed potato mixture on it in a ring and press it down a little. Leave a border around the edge just under one inch and leave enough space in the middle for the camembert wheel.
3. Place the second puff pastry sheet on top. Press the top sheet down onto the bottom one along the outer edge with your fingers, then press down to form a mold in the middle of the ring. Next, press the prongs of a fork all the way around the outer edge.
4. Make cuts all the way around the ring at intervals of roughly an inch. Next, turn the segments created by this through 90° so that the filling faces upwards.
5. Glaze the entire surface of the pastry with the egg wash. Before you place the camembert in the middle, cut a circle and then a cross in the cheese rind.
6. Bake the ring for 40 minutes at 400°F.
If you like the idea, but are looking for a vegetarian option, you can try our Spinach Sunburst. And if you can't decide which you'd prefer, you can surprise your guests with both recipes!