Pork Belly Fried Rice In Steamed Cabbage Bowls
Ginger, garlic, soy sauce, miso, and sake – these are all staple ingredients in some of our favorite East Asian cuisines, and we certainly can't do without them. That's why we've developed a stuffed cabbage recipe that we know you'll fall as hard for as we have! Filled to the brim with tasty fried rice and zesty, tender pork belly strips, this cabbage bowl hits the whole spectrum of flavors. And there's an added bonus: the cabbage bowls are 100% edible, which means you might even save yourself some time on dishes!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the cabbage bowl:
- 1 head of cabbage
- scallions + white sesame seeds to garnish
For the fried rice:
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1½ cups cooked rice
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 scallion, chopped
For the pork belly:
- 1 lb pork belly, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp red miso
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp sake
1. Cut the head of cabbage in half and steam both pieces for 10 minutes each.
2. Make shallow cuts in the steamed cabbage halves in a grid-like pattern, leaving an uncut rim around the outside edges and bottom of each half. Use a spoon to remove the cut pieces from the center of each piece of cabbage until the halves resemble shallow bowls. Set the pieces you removed from the center aside for later.
3. Heat a pan with some vegetable oil and fry the minced ginger and garlic. Whisk 2 eggs and pour them into the pan with the garlic and ginger. Add the cooked rice and chopped scallions and sauté everything until the eggs are cooked all the way through. Remove the fried rice from the heat and spoon the mixture into the hollowed-out cabbage bowls.
4. Cut the pork belly into uniform strips. Heat a large pan on the stove and sauté the pieces of cabbage you set aside earlier, along with the pork belly strips, red miso, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, chili powder, minced garlic, and sake, stirring occasionally. Once the pork belly is cooked all the way through, spoon the mixture into the cabbage bowls on top of the fried rice.
Garnish the pork belly fried rice cabbage bowls with chopped scallions and white sesame seeds. Even though this tangy recipe is super quick and simple to make, the bowls will probably disappear even faster than the time it took to make them!
Get the recipe for the Cabbage Head Stuffed With Ground Beef featured in the bonus video.