White Cabbage Stuffed With Ground Beef In A Red Wine Vegetable Sauce
Cabbage is usually chopped up and added to recipes like coleslaw and soup as a side ingredient. But have you ever seen a whole head of cabbage stuffed with ground beef and served with a tasty sauce made from root vegetables and red wine? Hold on to your hats ladies and gentlemen, because you're in for a one-of-a-kind treat!
- 1 head of white cabbage
For the filling:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 slice of bread, soaked in water
- ½ small red onion, diced
- salt, papper & nutmeg to taste
- 1 egg
For the sauce:
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- ½ celery stalk, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 fl oz red wine
- 8 fl oz water
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove the outer cabbage leaves, cut off the stem, and hollow out the inside.
2. Mix the ground beef, wet bread, onions, and egg together and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Spoon the ground beef mixture into the cabbage head, place it with the opening facing down in a large pot or casserole dish, and cook for 15 minutes.
3. Sweat the chopped vegetables in a pan with some olive oil over medium heat.
4. Add the tomato paste and red wine.
5. Stir in the water and season with salt and pepper.
6. Pour the vegetables and sauce over the stuffed cabbage.
7. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and cook at 375°F for 45 minutes.
8. Strain the sauce and pour it over the stuffed cabbage.
You dinner guests will be pleasantly surprised when you cut into this deliciously colossal dish! You can find the recipe for the Stuffed Cabbage Cake featured in the bonus video here.