Pineapple Chicken With Citrus Avocado Salsa
What do tropical fruit and poultry have in common? More than you think! When combined together, the two components form a taste explosion like nothing you've ever experienced. Paired with a delicious citrus avocado salsa and corn on the cob, this recipe will be the summer dish of the year.
For the pineapple chicken:
- 1 large pineapple
- 1 whole chicken (2-3 lbs)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 oz brown sugar
- 3 fl oz pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
For the citrus avocado salsa:
- remaining pineapple, cubed
- 3 oz diced red onion
- 1 red chili pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- juice of ½ lime
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and prepare the marinade. Heat the soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice, garlic, and ginger in a pan. Simmer for 5 minutes over low heat until the marinade thickens. Set aside and let cool.
2. Cut off the top of the pineapple and carve out a pedestal for the chicken. Save the pineapple top and other pieces for later.
3. Place the whole pineapple in a casserole dish, stick the whole chicken on the pineapple pedestal, and coat the chicken with the marinade.
4. Place the pineapple lid on the chicken and secure the chicken in place with a wooden skewer. Cook the chicken for 15 minutes at 425°F for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven, brush another coat of marinade over the chicken, and cook for another 45 minutes at 375°F.
5. For the salsa, cut up the remaining pineapple and add it to a bowl, together with the red onion, chili pepper, avocado, and lime juice. Mix everything together well.
Once the chicken has finished cooking, turn off the oven, open the door, and let the chicken sit for 10 minutes before serving with the salsa and some grilled corn on the cob. What an amazing combination of flavors!
You can find the recipe for the Watermelon Chicken featured in the bonus video here.