Pineapple Chicken With Citrus Avocado Salsa
What do tropical fruit and poultry have in common? More than you think! When combined together, the 2 components form a taste explosion like nothing you've ever experienced. Paired with a delicious citrus avocado salsa and corn on the cob, this recipe will be the summer dish of the year!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
For the pineapple chicken:
- 1 large pineapple
- 1 whole chicken
- pineapple marinade
For the pineapple marinade:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
For the citrus avocado salsa:
- remaining pineapple, cubed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red chili pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- juice of ½ lime
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and prepare the pineapple marinade. Heat the soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice, garlic, and ginger in a pan. Simmer for 5 minutes over low heat until the marinade thickens. Set aside and let cool.
2. Cut off the top of the pineapple and carve out a pedestal for the chicken. Save the pineapple top and other pieces for later.
3. Place the whole pineapple in a casserole dish, stick the whole chicken on the pineapple pedestal, and coat the chicken with the pineapple marinade.
4. Place the pineapple lid on top of the chicken and secure the chicken in place with a wooden skewer. Transfer the casserole dish to the oven and cook at 425°F for 15 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes, remove the casserole dish from the oven and brush another coat of the pineapple marinade over the chicken. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F, transfer the casserole dish back to the oven, and cook for another 45 minutes.
6. For the citrus avocado salsa, cut up the remaining pineapple and add it to a bowl, together with the red onion, chili pepper, avocado, and lime juice, and mix well.
7. Once the chicken has finished cooking, turn off the oven, open the door, and let the chicken sit for 10 minutes. Serve with the citrus avocado salsa and grilled corn on the cob.
Get the recipe for the Watermelon Chicken featured in the bonus video.