Chicken INSIDE Watermelon Makes For The Perfect Summer Meal!
Watermelon is the perfect summer fruit! Not only is the pulp about 96% water, which is a delicious way to stay hydrated when the temperatures start rising, but the sweet treat is also a great source of protein, antioxidants, and vitamins A and C. The following recipe also shows just how versatile watermelon is: not only does it serve as the container for the chicken, but at the same time, the juice adds a certain special something to the sauce. Talk about multitasking!
- 5 fl oz soy sauce
- 1 tbsp five-spice powder
- 1 lemon
- 1 whole chicken (about 2¼ lbs)
- 1 large watermelon
1. First mix the soy sauce with the five-spice powder. Zest the lemon, mix it into the sauce, and stir everything into a marinade.
2. Place the uncooked chicken in a casserole dish. Poke the lemon all over with a fork and insert it whole into the cavity. Thoroughly brush the chicken with the marinade from Step 1.
3. Next, place the watermelon on your work surface with one end facing you. Cut a thick slice off one side, and cut a thin slice off the opposite side. Set these sliced-off pieces to the side.
Rotate the melon so that the side with the thin slice cut away is on the bottom, and the side where you cut away a thick slice is facing up. Completely hollow out the watermelon with a spoon. Place the chicken inside and place the lid (the larger of the two pieces you cut off) on top.
4. Cook for 2 hours at 390°F.
Remove the melon from the oven and place it on a slightly raised work surface. Place a medium-sized dish containing watermelon chunks underneath the cooked watermelon. Using a peeler, cut a hole into the bottom section of the melon and let the sauce drip into the dish.
5. Purée the sauce and watermelon chunks until they form a smooth liquid.
6. Remove the lid from the watermelon and cut the upper section of the remaining watermelon rind. The bottom section can now serve as a platter.
Tip: Serve the watermelon sauce and long-grain rice as a side dish to the chicken.
You might want to consider this main dish the next time you head to a picnic or BBQ since you've already got a handy container in the form of a watermelon, which means one less thing for you to carry and one less dish to wash at the end of the day! If you just can't get enough chicken dishes, or if you're looking for more crazy-delicious culinary hybrids, check out our recipe for Drunken Chicken, a beer-infused delight straight from the oven, as well as our recipe for Swineapple,a bacon-wrapped grilled pineapple stuffed with chicken — you won't be disappointed!