Perfect for any gathering: ham and veggie picnic loaf
It may officially be autumn, but that doesn't mean you can't plan a few more picnics! With this recipe, there's no longer any need to prepare countless individual sandwiches, but rather one giant loaf that everyone can enjoy. This way, you have more time to let those last sunny rays sink in.
You will need:
- 1 loaf unsliced white bread
- 8 slices ham
- 13 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 red bell pepper, grilled
- 1 yellow bell pepper, grilled
- 1 eggplant, grilled
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 oz basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cut the bread horizontally and scoop it out.
- Place the ham into the bottom of the bread loaf, followed by the basil. Next, make sure all of the veggies are cut into thin strips. The mozzarella should also be cut into thin slices.
- Place the veggies and cheese into the bread loaf in any order you like. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Scoop out the bread loaf "lid" and place it back on top. Tie together with a string, or wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Sliced bread has nothing on this beauty! Not only is it easily transported, but you can add as many ingredients as will fit, without worrying about a big mess. Bake in the oven for a more crispy experience, and of course feel free to fill your loaf with whatever you like. Enjoy!