The 24 Oz Of Onions In This Recipe Will Bring Down The House!
Onion tart is a beloved recipe in southern Germany. It's a hearty dish where the vegetables that give the meal its name are sautéed in oil as part of the process. If you're after something simple, filling, and tasty, then this savory tart will do the trick.
- 24 oz onions, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 5 fl oz cream
For the dough:
- 8¾ oz flour
- 1¾ oz butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 fl oz milk
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 oz bacon
- butter cubes
- Prepare the filling, by frying the onions in the butter until they turn translucent. Then mix them in a bowl with the eggs, the cream and plenty of salt.
- Stir the dry yeast and a teaspoon of sugar into the milk. Add this mixture into a bowl with the flour, butter and a teaspoon of salt to mix the dough. Leave the dough to prove.
- Roll the dough out into a circle, then use it to line a tart dish. Let it stand again, before filling it with the cooled onion mixture and distributing some bacon as well as some cubes of butter on top.
- Cook the tart for about an hour at 350°F in a convection oven.
You should eat the onion tart warm and, if possible, enjoy it with some alcoholic beverages typical of the region, like a dry Riesling. But even without any alcohol, your homemade Onion Tart will melt in the mouth!