How To Make The Perfect Number Cake For Every Birthday
If you forgot to pick up some birthday candles or just want to make an extra special birthday cake, a number cake is the way to go!
For the chocolate cake (one cake per number):
- 4 eggs
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 pinch baking powder
For the cake pan (depending on the cake):
- 9-inch round cake pan
- 9 x 9-inch square cake pan
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter, softened
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Decorations for the Number 3:
- 10 oz bag of marshmallows
- 1 "sharing size" bag of M&M's (all colors except brown)
Decorations for the Number 27:
- 2 portions of cream cheese frosting
- cardboard strips, 1-inch wide
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
1. For the chocolate number cake, first preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the eggs and sugar together until frothy, and gradually mix in the softened butter. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder together and add to the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into a greased pan and bake for 45 minutes.
2. For the cream cheese frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth, stir in the vanilla extract and salt, and then gradually add the powdered sugar until completely combined.
The Number 1:
The Number 2:
The Number 3:
The Number 4:
The Number 5:
The Number 6:
The Number 7:
The Number 8:
The Number 9 (Number 6 turned upside down):
The Number 0:
Number 3 Decoration:
To decorate the Number 3, spread the cream cheese frosting over the cooled cake. Press the marshmallows into the ends of the cake and distribute the M&M's by color to make the cake look like a rainbow over clouds.
Number 27 Decoration:
To decorate the Number 27, spread one portion of cream cheese frosting over each cooled number. Arrange the cardboard strips over the cakes and generously sift cocoa powder over them. Carefully remove the cardboard strips and your fun design is a go.
And the decorating possibilities are endless! You can color the cream cheese frosting, sprinkle chopped nuts on top, and try all kinds of candy add-ons to tailor this birthday cake to the birthday boy or girl's tastes. You can find the recipe for the Striped Square Cake featured in the bonus video here.