Egg-Stuffed Meatloaf Pastry Ring With A Baked Camembert Center
This might be the one recipe to rule them all! Why? Because it combines all the things you love, like meatloaf, eggs, and a gorgeous flaky pastry dough to encase all that goodness. Most importantly, though, it has a giant camembert cheese wheel in the middle that turns into the most deliciously gooey mess ever. Plus, there's a little bit of braiding action going on to turn this egg-stuffed meatloaf pastry ring into something really unique and stunning. See for yourself!
For the pastry dough:
- 6¼ cups flour
- ½ oz fresh yeast (¼ of a 2 oz cube)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
For the meatloaf filling:
- 2½ lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 10 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 whisked eggs + 1 tbsp milk for the egg wash
- 8 oz camembert cheese wheel
1. First prepare the pastry dough. Add the flour, oil, fresh yeast, water, salt, and sugar to a bowl and work everything into a smooth dough with your hands. Refrigerate the dough overnight for the best results.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Boil the eggs, peel them, and set them aside. Add the ground beef, eggs, bell pepper, onion, and garlic to a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and combine everything with your hands.
3. Roll out about 1½ pounds of the chilled dough into a circle with a 12-inch diameter and spread about ⅓ of the meatloaf filling in the middle. Make sure to leave about an 8-inch wide rim uncovered.
4. Place the hard-boiled eggs around the edge of the meatloaf filling.
5. Spread the rest of the meatloaf filling over the top of the hard-boiled eggs and seal the edges together.
6. Cut 1½-inch wide strips around the outer edge of the uncovered dough.
7. Roll out the rest of the dough, cut it into about 1½-inch strips, and braid the dough as shown in the video.
8. Mix the milk and whisked egg for the egg wash and brush it over the dough. Place the camembert cheese wheel in the center of the ring and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
Once it's done baking, remove the rind from the camembert cheese wheel and sprinkle chopped chives over the melted cheese. Now when you cut into this egg-stuffed meatloaf pastry ring, the cheese is going to ooze right out onto the plate. This is any cheese lover's dream come true!
Get the recipe for the Cheese Flower Quiche featured in the bonus video.