Mashed Potato Churro Dogs And Mashed Potato Churro Bowls
Mashed potatoes tend to get overlooked. They usually play second fiddle to whatever extraordinary meat creation they're being served alongside of and are often only there to mop up sauce. So we made it our mission to create a dish that finally puts mashed potatoes in the spotlight! When you mix mashed potatoes with choux pastry, all kinds of doors start opening up – these crispy recipes are going to make everyone question why they never gave mashed potatoes the time of day before!
Yield: 3-4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the mashed potatoes:
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 3 egg yolks
- salt & nutmeg to taste
For the choux pastry:
- ¼ stick butter
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- muffin pan + piping bag with star-shaped nozzle for the churro bowls
- 4 hot dogs + 4 wooden skewers for the churro dogs
- oil for frying
1. Peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water. Add the egg yolks to the cooked potatoes, season with salt and nutmeg, and mash everything until smooth.
2. For the choux pastry, bring the water and butter to a boil, then add a pinch of salt. Add the flour and stir the mixture until it forms a ball.
3. Add the egg and continue to stir until a smooth mass forms.
4. Mix the mashed potatoes and choux pastry together and transfer the mass to a piping bag.
5. Turn a muffin pan upside down and grease it. Pipe the mashed potato choux pastry mixture around 3 muffin cups and freeze the muffin pan for 90 minutes.
6. Remove the mashed potato churro bowls from the muffin pan and fry them in hot oil for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
7. For the mashed potato churro dogs, stick a wooden skewer through each hot dog and pipe the mashed potato choux pastry mixture around the hot dogs.
8. Fry the mashed potato churro dogs for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
Serve your fried snacks with different sauces and condiments, a fresh side salad, or with some delicious pulled pork and gravy. Whatever direction you want to go in, one thing's for sure: these mashed potatoes are the star of the show!
Get the recipe for the Ham & Cheese Potato Nests featured in the bonus video.