Your new favorite snack: Cheesy bacon straws. Better than store-bought!
Usually well hidden between the chips, crackers, nuts and pretzels, you'll find something slightly more exotic in the snack aisle: cheese straws! But have you ever opened up that silvery packet inside the box to find that there are about five of them in there? At about $4 a box, what does that work out to per cheese straw? Well, not only is there a much more cost-effective way to serve up this savory snack at your next Sunday football gathering, but this particular recipe includes that one ingredient that makes just about everything better... bacon!
You will need:
- puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 7 oz. shredded cheese
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Roll out the puff pastry and coat with egg.
- Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and then evenly distribute the shredded cheese. Use a rolling pin to lightly roll out the dough.
- Now fold the dough sheet in half and press the edges gently together so they stay in place.
- Cut the folded dough into 8 equal strips and, twisting each end in opposite directions, make into spirals.
- Now the press a strip of bacon into the grooves of each spiral.
- Mix rosemary and brown sugar and sprinkle on top of the spirals.
- Bake for 375 °F for 20 to 25 minutes.
It's pretty certain you won't find anything this fresh in the snack aisle — plus the smell that will fill your kitchen is heavenly! These savory sensations will have all the stomachs in your house ready to rumble!