Pillowy German Nut Rolls With A Hazelnut Filling And Lemon Icing
This delectable nut pastry is as simple as it is ingenious. The dough is super easy to make, and the nut filling with chopped and ground hazelnuts gives these rolls a terrific crunch. There's nothing better than homemade baked goods, and that's a fact!
You'll Need (for 8-10):
For the dough:
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- ½ cube fresh yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ stick butter, softened
- 4 cups flour
For the filling:
- 8 oz hazelnuts, ground
- 8 oz hazelnuts, chopped
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ stick melted butter
- ⅓ cup milk
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
For the egg wash:
- 1 whisked egg yolk
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. To make the dough, dissolve the fresh yeast with the sugar in lukewarm water. Sprinkle the flour on top of your work surface, form a well in it, and add the egg and butter. Add the yeast-sugar-milk mixture and knead everything into a smooth dough, then leave to rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place.
2. Flour your work surface and roll out the dough to about 20 x 16 inches.
3. Combine the ground and chopped hazelnuts with the brown and regular sugar, milk, and melted butter in a bowl.
4. Spread the nut filling evenly all over the dough.
5. Roll the dough together starting from the longer side and then cut the roll into about 2-inch thick pieces.
6. Transfer the dough pieces to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and press the end of a wooden spoon into the middle of each piece. Let the rolls rise for about another 15 minutes on the baking tray.
7. Brush the egg wash over the rolls, put the pan in the oven, and bake for 20 minutes. Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice and drizzle the icing over the nut rolls after the come out of the oven.
By the way, you could also add ground almonds to the nut filling. Or use pecans instead of hazelnuts. In terms of nuts, there really are no limits. Go nuts!
Get the recipe for the Chocolate Hazelnut Triangles featured in the bonus video.