Farina Cake With Chocolate Cookies & Chocolate Ganache
If you grew up eating farina, porridge, oatmeal, or grits – or even if it was just your mom forcing you to eat it as part of a healthy and balanced breakfast) – you will love this cake! Farina is getting a serious upgrade with chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate!
For the cookie base:
- 6 oz chocolate cookies or chocolate graham crackers
- ¾ stick butter, melted
- orange zest
For the farina cream:
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1⅓ cup farina
- 6⅓ cups milk
For the chocolate ganache:
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 6 oz dark chocolate
- plastic wrap
- chocolate cookies or chocolate graham crackers
1. Crumble the cookies, pour the melted butter over the crumbs, add the orange zest, and mix well.
2. Line a pot with plastic wrap, press the cookie base into the bottom, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Bring the milk to a boil in another pot. Add the sugar and farina, mix well, and let the farina cream thicken.
4. Pour about 3/4 of the farina cream over the cookie base in the pot.
5. Press some cookies into the farina cream and refrigerate the pot for 4 hours.
6. Use the plastic wrap to lift the cake out of the pot and place it on a cake stand.
7. Heat the heavy cream, pour it over the dark chocolate, and mix until smooth. Once the chocolate ganache has cooled slightly, pour it over the top of the cake and crumble some cookies over it.
You can find the recipe for the Upside-Down Apple Cake featured in the bonus video here.