Chicken Parmesan Casserole With Melted Mozzarella & A Creamy Tomato Sauce
If you've been eating your chicken parmesan as a solitary piece of chicken with a side of pasta, you've been missing out. While the classic is a classic for a reason, we always think there's room for improvement, which is why we decided it was a high time to try it in casserole form with a creamy tomato sauce and multiple layers of ooey, gooey cheese. There's no turning back now!
For the breaded chicken:
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 8 fl oz milk
- 1 egg
- 2½ cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup corn flakes
- salt & pepper
- oil to fry
For the tomato sauce:
- 5 tomatoes, stems removed
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 quart water
- salt & pepper
- ⅓ cup cream cheese
- 1 basil sprig
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella, torn into small pieces (or 3 cups shredded mozzarella)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butterfly the chicken breasts and pound them with a meat mallet until thin.
2. Mix the egg and milk and dip the thin chicken breasts in the mixture.
3. Crumble the corn flakes and mix them with the bread crumbs. Season the breading with salt and pepper.
4. Dredge the wet chicken breasts in the bread crumbs.
5. Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the bread chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown.
6. While the chicken cools, prepare the tomato sauce. Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and water to a large pot, bring to a boil, and then let simmer for about 10 minutes or until two-thirds of the water has evaporated.
7. Pour the contents of the pot in a blender, add the cream cheese and basil, and mix until smooth and creamy.
8. Cut the breaded chicken into strips, place a few of them on the bottom of a casserole dish, and cover with a layer of tomato sauce and cheese.
9. Continue to layer chicken, tomato sauce, and cheese until you reach the top, with the final layer being cheese. Cook for 20 minutes or until the cheese turns golden brown and begins to bubble.
This casserole may look like any other at first, but dig in and you'll instantly know that this is how chicken parm was really meant to be served! You can find the recipe for the Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Parmesan featured in the bonus video here.