Cheesy Potato Rolls Topped With Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Or Red Onions
What's for dinner? Potato rolls! That's right – we've decided to turn this deliciously comforting and wildly beloved side dish into a main by stuffing it with cheesy mashed potatoes and then topping the rolls with one of three delicious ingredients, such as bacon, cheddar cheese, and red onions. These cheesy potato rolls really pack a punch in terms of flavor and finally get the attention they so rightfully deserve!
For the yeast rolls:
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup lukewarm milk
- ⅓ cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the cheesy potatoes:
- 14 oz potatoes, boiled and cooled
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
For the toppings:
- 2 tbsp diced bacon
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 3 whisked egg yolks for the egg wash
1. Knead all the ingredients for the yeast rolls together, cover the dough, and let it rise for about 1½ hours. Then knead the dough again, divide it into 6 equal pieces, and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Then use a glass to press a hollow into each piece of dough. Tip: Coat the bottom of the glass with flour before pressing it into the yeast dough so the dough doesn't stick to the glass.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F and mash the cooled potatoes with the shredded mozzarella cheese and heavy cream. Spoon the cheesy potatoes into the indents in the yeast rolls.
3. Top the cheesy potato rolls with bacon, cheddar cheese, or red onions, or whatever other toppings you might like to add. Allow the rolls to rise for another 20 minutes, brush them with the egg wash, transfer the pan to the oven, and and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
These savory stuffed potato rolls are more than worthy of being the main star of the show. In fact, they should get an Oscar for Best Leading Actor. The smell coming out of the oven is simply divine, and when you bite into them and all that cheesy potato goodness starts hitting your taste buds, there's no turning back. Bon appetit!
Get the recipe for the Cheesy Bread in a Can featured in the bonus video.