Cheesy Smoked Meatloaf In A Homemade Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce
Barbecuing is a great way to prepare delicious food while you get some fresh air in the great outdoors. But instead of the classics like hot dogs, hamburgers, shish kabobs, and steak, why not opt for a dish that's different in both taste and prep? All you need is a grilling plank, ground beef, mini cheese wheels, a few choice spices, and some good ol' American whiskey to whip up a family favorite that tastes even better grilled!
- 1 grilling plank
- water and whiskey for soaking
For the spice mix:
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
For the meatloaf:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp spice mix
- 3 tbsp +1 tsp bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp +1 tsp milk
- 4–5 mini Babybel cheese wheels
For the Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce:
- 1 shot of whiskey
- 8 tbsp ketchup
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp spice mix
1. Fill a large casserole dish with 3 parts water and 1 part whiskey and soak the grilling plank in the liquid for at least 1 hour.
2. Add the spice mix ingredients to a bowl and crush them into a fine powder.
3. Mix the ground beef with the rest of the meatloaf ingredients, except for the cheese wheels.
4. Lay out half of the ground beef mixture on the grilling plank and arrange the mini Babybel cheese wheels in a line down the center of the meat.
5. Cover the entire thing with the other half of the ground beef mixture and seal the edges.
6. Prepare the BBQ sauce and brush it over the meatloaf.
7. Heat your grill to about 300°F and place the grilling plank with the meatloaf in the center of the grill. Close the lid and cook for about 20 minutes. Then grill indirectly for another 30 minutes.
This meatloaf owes its smoky flavor to the extraordinary BBQ sauce and grilling plank. Throw in a cheesy center and perfectly seasoned crust, and you've got yourself a dream come true!
You can find the recipe for the Slow-Cooked BBQ Pork featured in the bonus video here.