Throw A Cookout Anytime Of Year With This Slow-Cooked BBQ Pork
Are you a big fan of meat and love a good barbecue? Then this layered pork recipe is just for you! With just a few simple steps, this hearty meal is as easy as 1,2,3, and best of all, the cooking method gets the meat so tender that it will literally melt in your mouth!
- 1 Dutch oven cooking pot
- 1 grill
- bacon slices (amount depends on the size of the pot)
- 6 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 8 lbs pork butt, sliced
- BBQ sauce
1. Lay the bacon slices on the bottom and inner walls of the Dutch oven.
2. Dump the paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper in a bowl and stir the ingredients together with a spoon to create your spice mixture. Cut the onions and tomatoes into slightly thicker slices — how many onions and tomatoes you need will depend on the size of your pot.
3. Dredge the pork slices in the spice mixture.
4. Now it's time to layer! Slightly lift the Dutch oven up so that it is tilted at approximately a 45° angle to your work surface. Layer the pork, onions, and tomatoes either side by side or on top of one another.
5. Spread the BBQ sauce over the layers.
6. Now it's time to heat things up! You can of course put your Dutch oven cooking pot in the oven and let it cook there, but if you want a more authentic experience, you'll want to go ahead and fire up the grill. Once the coals in the grill are properly heated, place your Dutch oven directly on top of them. Place the lid on the Dutch oven and let the dish stew for 2½ hours.
7. Now it's time to belly up to the table and let that tender meat fall apart in your mouth.
Be sure to try this out with different cuts of pork, like pork loin, pork tenderloin, pork chops, pork belly, and spare ribs to see which you like best, and you can even shred the tender meat afterwards if you prefer pulled pork. No matter how you make it, this layered BBQ pork dish is an absolute feast that can be enjoyed anytime of year, thanks to the Dutch oven!
Get the recipe for the Stuffed BBQ Potatoes featured in the bonus video.