Mamma Mia! These Cheese-Baked Tomatoes Are A Dream!
Tomatoes are one of those foods that you just can't cook without. Whether it's ketchup, tomato sauce, or in a salad: these plump, round, red veggies (or fruit!?) are indispensable. They've gotten their reputation honestly — they deserve their place in the limelight.
This fool-proof recipe isn't a side, it's the star of the show.
You will need (for three portions):
- 3 tomatoes
- pizza dough
- cubed ham
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- Slice the tips off the tomatoes and use a spoon to hollow out a space inside them. With ripe tomatoes it'll be easy. If they're firmer, it helps to use a knife, but be sure not to damage the outer skin!
- Cut three big circles in some pizza dough and place each one around a tomato. Press the edge of the dough tightly around the opening so it doesn't fall off.
- Then fill the tomatoes with equal shares of ham.
- Now put the mozzarella, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl and purée them. Pour the same amount of this mix into each tomato, covering up the ham.
- Finally, sprinkle the oregano over each tomato and bake them in the oven at 355°F for 20 min, with the air circulator on.
And if you like, a few sliced olive rings on top of each tomato, or a few fresh basil leaves, certainly couldn't hurt! (Your eyes are partaking too, after all.) Try this recipe right away!