Bacon Mashed Potato Scotch Eggs
If you've ever tried Scotch eggs before, then you know how delicious it can be when you spend a little bit of extra time dressing up your soft-boiled eggs. Whereas traditional Scotch eggs are wrapped in sausage meat, breaded, and deep fried, this recipe is taking things a step further. Our bacon mashed potato Scotch eggs start with perfectly prepared soft-boiled eggs, then we wrap them up in a classic combo of ham & cheese, add a layer of tender mashed potatoes, and finish the whole thing off with crispy bacon and BBQ sauce. There's simply no beating this eggcellent combination of flavors, textures, and ingredients!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 55 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the bacon mashed potato Scotch eggs:
- 2 soft-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 strips of ham
- 2 strips of Swiss cheese
- mashed potatoes
- 20 slices of bacon
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
For the mashed potatoes:
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled & boiled
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp salt
- nutmeg to taste
1. Wrap the ham and cheese strips around the peeled soft-boiled eggs. For the mashed potatoes, combine the boiled potatoes, potato starch, egg yolk, salt, and nutmeg, and mash until smooth. Coat the ham & cheese soft-boiled eggs with the mashed potato mixture.
2. Create two woven lattices from the bacon slices, each with 10 slices of bacon.
3. Wrap one bacon lattice around each mashed potato Scotch egg, place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, and brush BBQ sauce over the bacon.
4. Transfer the baking tray to a preheated oven and cook at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Ham, cheese, egg, mashed potatoes, AND bacon all in one place?! These Scotch eggs are going above and beyond, and we're here for it!
Get the recipe for the Triple Cheese Meatloaf featured in the bonus video.