Zucchini Eggplant Pie With Meat Sauce, Potatoes, And Feta Cheese
Did you know you can make a delicious, hearty meat pie with sliced eggplant and zucchini? Well, now you know! This pie comes with a rich meat sauce, feta cheese, and potato filling, and it looks absolutely gorgeous. Fresh out of the oven and topped with cherry tomatoes, this is exactly the kind of pie you never knew you wanted and won't want to live without!
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty Level: Advanced
For the zucchini eggplant pie:
- 5 eggplants
- 5 zucchinis
- olive oil
- 8 oz feta cheese cubes
- 4 potatoes
For the meat sauce:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 2 red onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil for frying
- cherry tomatoes for garnish
- 9-inch springform pan
1. For the meat sauce, first fry the ground beef in some olive oil. Then add the rest of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce simmer until it thickens and then allow it to cool completely.
2. Cut the eggplants and zucchinis into slices. Then salt them, dab them dry, and brush olive oil over them. Grill the zucchini and eggplant slices on both sides and let them cool.
3. Peel and boil the potatoes and then slice them once they've cooled. Cut the zucchini and eggplant slices in half diagonally.
4. Line the greased springform pan by alternating between eggplant and zucchini slices, making sure they overlap and the tips of the triangles are facing inwards.
5. Add some of the meat sauce to the springform pan.
6. Place the potato slices and half of the feta cheese cubes on top of the meat sauce.
7. Add the rest of the meat sauce and feta cheese cubes and fold the overlapping eggplant and zucchini slices in towards the center.
8. Bake the zucchini pie for 30 minutes in a preheated oven set to 300°F. Carefully remove the pie from the springform pan and garnish with cherry tomatoes.
This eggplant zucchini pie isn't just gorgeous to look at, it also packs quite the punch flavor-wise. Eggplant and zucchini are a match made in heaven, and once you add potatoes, meat sauce, and feta cheese to the mix, you've got yourself a truly divine pie!
Get the recipe for the Stuffed Eggplant Terrine featured in the bonus video.