The Stars Are Shining Bright On This Party Cake With Buttercream And Fondant
You don't need to believe in astrology to see that this zodiac cake would make the perfect birthday cake for celebrating your friend's special day. And although people sometimes worry that their cake won't rise properly, we predict that with this recipe, you'll be able to bake the perfect party cake that everyone will enjoy.
For the cake:
- 6 egg whites
- 21 oz sugar
- 17 fl oz milk
- 16½ oz flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla flavoring
- 5⅓ oz coconut oil
- red, blue, and green food coloring
For the buttercream frosting:
- 17½ oz soft butter
- 14 oz powdered sugar
- 21 oz cream cheese
For the decoration:
- 17½ oz black fondant icing
- white food coloring
1. First, beat the egg whites with the sugar until frothy, using an electric whisk. Then stir in the milk, followed by the dry ingredients a little at a time. Finally, add the vanilla and the liquid coconut oil. Next, divide the batter equally between four bowls.
2. Color each portion a different color with food coloring. You can use the blue twice, putting a few more drops of it in the bowl the second time.
3. Mix the colored batter in a greased springform pan as follows: add a tablespoon of each color on an alternating basis so that all four are as well-mixed as possible. Finally, you can also trail the handle of the spoon through the batter to create a marbled effect.
4. Bake the cake for 50 minutes at 350°F in a convection oven. After it has cooled, cut it into three horizontal layers of equal thickness.
5. Now take care of the buttercream frosting: beat the butter until it is completely soft — this can take around 10 minutes. Then slowly mix the powdered sugar into the butter.
Then bring the cream cheese to the same temperature as the butter, before folding it carefully into the butter-sugar mix.
6. Construct the cake: place the first sponge layer on a cake stand and spread a generous amount of buttercream on top. Follow the same steps for the next two sponge layers.
Cover the cake with the rest of the buttercream and then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. Next, roll out the fondant and drape it over the cake. Press it down around the sides and then cut away the excess.
8. Now you can use a paintbrush and some of the white food coloring to spray the fondant with "stars." Then you can paint it as you like, using the zodiac signs that you see in the video, for example.
When it comes to party food, you don't want to skimp on the cake, and this one will really stand out at your party, thanks to its striking decoration. And if some of your friends are skeptics when it comes to astrology, you'll still all be able to agree on how great it tastes when you slice it up and serve!