XXL Stuffed Cheeseburger In A Puff Pastry Bun
When it comes to fast food, the cheeseburger is a an all-time classic. It's tough to beat gooey melted cheese, pickles, onion, and ketchup all sitting on top of a juicy burger! We couldn't think of many things that could make a cheeseburger any better, but then we decided to try this XXL stuffed cheeseburger and were absolutely blown away. Using a unique freezing technique for the ketchup and mustard, we were able to put all of the toppings inside 2 enormous ground beef patties and bake everything inside a light, flaky puff pastry crust. You won't believe how delicious this dish is! It turns out that bigger is definitely better when it comes to cheeseburgers!
Prep Time: 90 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Inactive Time: 3 hours
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the XXL stuffed cheeseburger:
- 4½ lbs ground beef
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar
- cooking oil for frying
For the puff pastry bun:
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 1 whisked egg for the egg wash
- sesame seeds
1. For the stuffed cheeseburger, line the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Make a spiral out of ketchup & mustard that's slightly smaller than the base of the springform pan on the parchment paper. Repeat this process to form a second spiral, then transfer both pieces of parchment paper to the freezer and freeze the ketchup & mustard spirals for 2 hours.
2. Grease 2 large 10-inch springform pans. Season the ground beef with salt & pepper, then press ½ of the meat into the bottom of each pan. Once the ground beef has been pressed down and you've formed 2 large patties, remove the ring from both of the springform pans.
3. Make a round indentation large enough to fit the frozen ketchup & mustard spirals in both ground beef patties. Place the first spiral in the indentation of 1 of the patties, then top it off with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced red onions, and pickles.
4. Cover the toppings with the other ketchup & mustard spiral and place the second ground beef patty on top.
5. Pinch the edges of the ground beef patties together, then cook the giant stuffed cheeseburger on both sides in a large frying pan, or sear it on the grill. Once the ground beef has browned on both sides, take the XXL stuffed cheeseburger off of the heat and let it cool for about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Cut the 2 sheets of puff pastry dough into 2 equally sized circles that are slightly larger than the stuffed cheeseburger. Place 1 circular piece of puff pastry dough on the baking tray, then place the stuffed cheeseburger on top. Whisk an egg for the egg wash and brush it over the outer edge of the puff pastry dough.
7. Place the second circular piece of puff pastry dough on top and seal in the dough by pressing a fork into the dough around the edges.
8. Brush the remainder of the egg wash over the surface of the puff pastry dough and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Transfer the baking tray to the oven and bake the XXL stuffed cheeseburger at 350°F for 60–90 minutes, until golden brown.
This giant stuffed cheeseburger is a convenient way to feed the whole family, plus it looks extra impressive when you're serving it. Everyone at the table is sure to get their fill of this delicious meal!
Get the recipe for the Giant Flaming Double Cheeseburger featured in the bonus video.