Chocolate-Covered Watermelon And Coconut Cheesecake Popsicles
What could be better on a sweltering hot day than someone handing you an ice-cold popsicle? Fruity and refreshing, popsicles are the perfect way to beat the heat while enjoying a sweet treat. Inspired by the feeling of that refreshing first bite, we've come up with an even more decadent way to eat your popsicles. This chocolate-covered frozen watermelon & coconut cheesecake pop is not your average popsicle. Layers of 2 different kinds of watermelon and rich coconut cheesecake cream get coated in chocolate and covered with delicious toppings. These stand-out frozen treats put the 'pop' in popsicle!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 7 hours
Difficulty Level: Advanced
For the watermelon layers:
- 2 circular slices of watermelon
- 2 circular slices of yellow watermelon
For the coconut cheesecake cream:
- 1 cup coconut milk, chilled
- 1⅓ cups cream cheese
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 tsp salt
For the coating:
- 2 lbs milk chocolate, melted
- 2 lbs white chocolate, melted
- toasted coconut flakes
- nut topping
1. For the watermelon layers, cut 2 slices, each 1-inch thick, from both the watermelon and yellow watermelon. Stack the 2 slices of each kind of watermelon on top of one other and press an 8-inch bowl down on top. Use a knife to trace the bowl and cut the pieces of watermelon into circular slices. Remove the rind and transfer the circular pieces of watermelon to a clean kitchen towel. Cover them with a second towel and let the excess liquid drain out for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
2. For the coconut cheesecake cream, whip the heavy cream in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir together the cream cheese, coconut milk, powdered sugar, salt, and lemon & lime zest, then carefully fold in the whipped cream. Transfer the coconut cheesecake cream to the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour.
3. Once the watermelon has drained, place 1 slice of yellow watermelon on a large plate and spread an even layer, about ½ inch thick, of coconut cheesecake cream on top.
4. Place 1 slice of watermelon on top of the first layer of coconut cheesecake cream. Continue adding layers to the watermelon popsicle, alternating between coconut cheesecake cream and watermelon slices, making sure the final layer is a slice of watermelon. Transfer the layered watermelon to the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour.
5. Once the layered watermelon has chilled, remove it from the fridge and insert 12 evenly spaced wooden skewers into it, making sure the wooden skewers pierce the final layer of watermelon. Line up the wooden skewers in a row and cut the layered watermelon into even slices.
6. Use a double boiler to melt the milk and white chocolate in tall shot glasses. Dip the layered watermelon skewers into the melted chocolate.
7. Cover the watermelon popsicles coated in milk chocolate with nut topping, and the popsicles coated in white chocolate with toasted coconut flakes. Let the melted chocolate and toppings set for 5 minutes.
These watermelon & coconut cheesecake popsicles are not only refreshing, they're a delicious summer treat that will makes the most out of one of our favorite seasonal fruits! Chocolate, coconut, watermelon, and cheesecake – it's a summertime dream come true!
Get the recipe for the Banana Bread On A Stick featured in the bonus video.