Chocolate Coated Dome Cake With A Sweet Watermelon Jello Center
We're so excited that it's finally watermelon season! To honor our favorite fruit, we've come up with the following recipe that's not only a treat for the eye, as also the stomach. And it's so much more than just watermelon. Together with the sweet watermelon jello center, you'll also get to enjoy a rich chocolate shell and a fluffy cake base. Just one bite and you'll be in heaven.
- ¼ watermelon (about 20 oz after blending)
- 2 fl oz water
- 2 oz sugar
- 12 large gelatin sheets (soaked in cold water)
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 12 oz white chocolate
- 1 tsp green food coloring powder
- 8 oz stiff whipped cream
- ø 7 inch cake base
- ø 8 inch dome silicone mold
- dental floss
1. Cut the watermelon into small slices, add the pieces to a blender, and mix until smooth.
2. Let the gelatin sheets soak in cold water until completely softened. Boil the water and sugar, add the gelatin, and stir until completely dissolved before adding the pureed watermelon. Pour the mixture into a pan and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
3. Melt and temper the white chocolate. Use a brush to draw light strokes inside the silicone mold and let it dry before moving on to the next step.
4. Color the rest of the white chocolate green, pour it into the silicone mold, and swirl it around until the entire mold is evenly coated. Briefly leave the mold at room temperature and then refrigerate.
5. Once the chocolate in the mold has set, remove it from the fridge and spread the stiff whipped cream around the bottom and inner walls of the chocolate shell, making sure to leave enough space at the top for the cake. Remove the watermelon jello from the fridge, add the chocolate chips, and stir. Pour the jello over the whipped cream in the mold.
6. Top the mold off with the cake, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Now if that's not the coolest summer cake ever, then we don't know what is! Best served on warm summer days with a refreshing glass of iced tea or fruit punch.
You can find the recipe for the Watermelon Soft Serve featured in the bonus video here.