This Fruity Watermelon Cake Is The Perfect Treat For Hot Summer Days
Maybe it feels like you've had your fill of watermelon for the summer, or maybe you want something a bit more indulgent. But there's no denying you still want to savor the taste of this delicious fruit while you still have the chance. Whatever the reason, you will love this watermelon-flavored cake that actually looks like a slice of watermelon — what could possibly be sweeter?
For the cookie cake base:
- 14 oz butter cookies or graham crackers
- 7 oz melted butter
- red and green food coloring
For the cream:
- 8¾ oz cream cheese
- 2½ oz sugar
- 2 fl oz milk
- 2 tsp gelatin
- 1¾ tbsp warm water
- pink food coloring
For the jello center:
- 1 package watermelon jello mix
Or make make your own homemade watermelon-flavored jello:
- 7 oz watermelon, cubed
- 3 tbsp red jello powder
- 3½ oz sugar
- 6¾ fl oz warm water
For the decoration:
- 3½ oz dark chocolate
1. Place the cookies or graham crackers in a resealable freezer bag and smash with a rolling pin until you are left with crumbs. Divide the cookie crumbs in two equal portions and pour them into medium-sized bowls. Evenly divide the butter between two smaller-sized bowls and put a few drops of green food coloring in one bowl and a few drops of red food coloring in the other. Stir each bowl with a whisk and then add the red butter mixture to one bowl of cookie crumbs and the green butter mixture to the other bowl of cookie crumbs. Mix each bowl, one at a time, until the food coloring and butter are fully incorporated.
2. Evenly press the red cookie crumbs into the bottom of a springform pan (between 9 and 10 inches in diameter) with a spoon and refrigerate the pan. Make an incision in the cookie base about ¼ to ¾ of an inch from the edge of the pan, cut all the way around, and remove the cookie base against the pan by scooping out with a spoon. Roll sections of the green cookie crumbs in the palm of your hands to form the relevant shape and then press into the gaps along the edge of the pan. Press the green cookie crumbs again with a spoon to make sure they are firm. Refrigerate the pan once again.
3. To create the cream, first stir the cream cheese, sugar, and milk together with a whisk. Then dissolve the soaked, squeezed gelatin in the warm water and stir it into the cream cheese mixture. Transfer about ⅓ of the cream to a smaller bowl and stir in a few drops of the pink food coloring. Then pour the pink cream into the springform pan and refrigerate the pan.
4. And now for the recipe's grand trick: wrap a medium-sized bowl in a large piece of cling wrap and place it upside-down in the center of the pan. Pour the remainder of the white cream into a piping bag and squeeze it around the bowl. Refrigerate the pan once again.
5. To make the jello center, you can either use a package of watermelon jello mix or make your own. If using a prepackaged watermelon jello mix, add the corresponding amount of water indicated on the package, and proceed to Step #6. To make your own watermelon jello, first purée the watermelon chunks until a liquid forms, pass the mixture through a sieve, and set the watermelon juice aside. In a separate bowl, stir the sugar, red jello powder, and warm water together until the liquid becomes smooth. Then stir the mixture into the watermelon juice.
6. Carefully pull the bowl out of the pan and use a ladle to pour the liquid watermelon jello into the hole in the middle. Pop any air bubbles that may form in the liquid and refrigerate the pan.
7. While the cake cools, create the chocolate "watermelon seeds." To do so, first lay down a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface. Then fill a piping bag (with a small attachment) with the melted chocolate and squeeze out small chocolate drops on the paper. Once the cake has set and the chocolate has completely hardened, remove the chocolate drops from the paper one at a time with the tip of a knife and place them on the jello center of the cake.
This is the perfect summer cake recipe — the fresh taste of watermelon blends perfectly with the cream cheese filling and fruity jello center, all of which is perfectly complimented by a crisp cookie base. Now all you need is a refreshing drink and you're ready to kick back in the garden and enjoy a beautiful summer day.