Veggie Pasta Bake — Layers Of Flavor
Preparing lasagna is always an event. Many bowls of different ingredients line the kitchen counter, waiting patiently to be added to the baking dish. While this lasagna recipe doesn't call for fewer ingredients, it certainly comes with a few surprises, creating a delicious spin on a old classic. Rest assured: one bite is worth every minute of preparation time.
- 1 eggplant
- 2 and 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 14 oz penne noodles
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 7 oz cream cheese
- salt & pepper
- 7 oz shredded mozzarella
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise into strips and place on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Spoon a layer of tomato sauce onto the eggplant. Now add a layer of uncooked penne on top of the tomato sauce, arranging the noodles in an orderly fashion. Now pour in the vegetable stock, followed by a layer of tomato slices (half of your total amount) and finally, all of the cream cheese.
- Almost finished! Place the remaining eggplant on top of the cream cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Now add the rest of the tomato sauce, followed by one last layer of tomato slices and finally, a generous portion of shredded mozzarella.
- Now bake for 40 minutes at 350°F.
In some ways, lasagna is like poetry: taken apart, you have only words, or in this case, ingredients. But if arranged properly, they can create something powerful. Wait... did we just compare noodles and tomato sauce to a piece of writing? Wow. Deliciousness just reached a whole new level.