Chocolate Cake With A Vanilla Pudding Center
This cake will knock your socks off! Simple to make, yet effective, and what's more: completely delish! It even has a creamy vanilla pudding center that pairs perfectly with the rich chocolate cake surrounding it. This stunning dessert is a total showstopper that won't have you slaving away in the kitchen for hours.
For the vanilla pudding:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup corn starch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups milk
- ¼ stick cold butter
For the chocolate cake:
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup room temperature milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2½ cups sieved flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- melted chocolate
- ⅔ cup chopped almonds
- 9-inch springform pan
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. For the pudding, combine the egg, vanilla extract, corn starch, and 3–4 tablespoons of the milk in a pot over medium heat. Add the rest of the milk and cook until the mixture thickens and there are no lumps, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the butter. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to cool down.
2. For the chocolate cake, combine the eggs with sugar and salt and beat until frothy. Stir in the milk and oil and wait until the end to add flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder to the mixture. Adding the ingredients in this order will give you the best results.
3. Pour the batter into a greased springform pan.
4. Spoon the chilled pudding over the middle section of the chocolate cake batter.
5. Put the pan in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Once it's done baking, remove the dark skin from the pudding and allow the cake to cool for a few hours.
6. Drizzle melted chocolate over the chocolate cake and sprinkle chopped almonds around the edge.
The great thing about this cake is that you can choose whatever flavor pudding you like. Caramel or chocolate – there really is no limit to what you can make. You could even pull a switcheroo and leave out the cocoa powder in the cake batter and then use chocolate pudding instead of vanilla pudding. No matter what, this cake will make you erupt with happiness!
You can find the recipe for the Coconut Volcano Poke Cake featured in the bonus video here.