Apple Cake Filled With Vanilla Apple Pudding
Apple cake is the perfect sweet treat for the colder months. From its simple, moist cake base to the sweet flavor combination of apple and cinnamon, apple cake hits the spot every time! Most people have a family recipe for their favorite apple dessert that has been passed down through the ages, but this apple cake filled with vanilla apple pudding is about to revolutionize the way you bake your apple desserts. From its simple cake base to its creamy, rich vanilla pudding filling accented with apple chips, this sweet treat will put a big smile on the face of anyone who tries it. We know you're going to love this cake, but don't take our word for it – the proof is in the pudding!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the cake base:
- 3⅓ cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh yeast or 1 tsp dry yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk, room temperature
For the apple vanilla pudding:
- ⅓ cup corn starch
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- ½ cup apple chips
For the topping:
- 1 apple, sliced
¼ stick butter, melted
- 3 tbsp cinnamon + brown sugar
1. For the cake base, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, salt, vegetable oil, and milk in a large mixing bowl and knead it all together by hand for about 5 minutes until a smooth dough forms. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 1 hour. Once the dough has risen, cut it into 2 equal portions, then roll out both portions of dough into circles about 11 inches in diameter.
2. For the vanilla apple pudding, combine the corn starch, sugar, egg yolks, milk, and the caviar from the vanilla bean pod in a saucepan. Gradually heat the mixture over low heat until the pudding thickens significantly, stirring continuously. Turn off the heat and stir the mixture for an additional 2 minutes, using the residual heat from the burner. Break the apple chips with your hands to make them smaller, then stir them into the vanilla pudding. Let the pudding cool down briefly.
3. Place 1 of the rolled-out circles of dough on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Transfer the vanilla apple pudding to the center of the dough and spread it around evenly, leaving a 1½-inch wide border uncovered around the outer edge of the dough.
4. Place the second rolled-out piece of dough on top and gently press down along the edges to seal in the dough. Fold any excess dough underneath the apple cake, then cover it with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F and brush the surface of the dough with melted butter. Use a wooden skewer to make small holes around the edge of the dough at regular intervals.
5. Press a 5-inch bowl into the center of the dough to make a circular indentation. Hold a white wine glass at an angle and use it to make semicircular indentations around the edge of the dough.
6. Use an apple corer to slice the apple, then slice the resulting pieces even more thinly. Place the thinly sliced apples on the semicircular indentations in the dough. Stir together some cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle the mixture on top of the apple cake. Transfer the baking tray to the oven and bake the apple cake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
Would you take a look at that gorgeous cake! Not only does this apple cake have all of the delicious flavors you want in an apple-based dessert, the vanilla apple pudding makes this apple cake unlike any other you've tried before. How do you like them apples?!
Get the recipe for the Apple Pudding Pie featured in the bonus video.