Movie Night Favorite: Transparent Chips With A Cheese & Bacon Dip
Everyone loves chips! But have you ever tried the crispy snack in see-through form? Today's recipe transforms the movie night favorite into an invisible savory treat that's packed full of flavor. To complement the transparent chips, we've also prepared a delicious dip made from cheese, bacon and potatoes. Here's how to do it...
For the chips:
- 1 qt water
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- oil for frying
For the dip:
- 1½ lb potatoes (floury)
- 5 oz soft cheese (e.g. Camembert)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 oz bacon
- salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Peel and wash the potatoes. Boil them in salted water until they are soft. Leave the potatoes in the pot with the lid on for half an hour before taking them out of the water.
2. Mix the potato water with the starch. Heat the water while stirring until the stock becomes clear and gel-like.
Tip: Wait until the potato stock has become lukewarm and pour it through a clean dish towel before mixing it with the starch and heating up. This guarantees there will be no pieces of potato in your transparent chips later.
Dip a spoon into the potato gel and wipe it onto baking parchment. Repeat until the parchment is full and then dry the chips in a convection oven set to 125°F for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Meanwhile, you can get to work on the dip. First, fry the bacon in oil and leave it to cool. Cut the cheese into small pieces and add it to the potatoes. Add paprika and the bacon oil to the bowl and puree all of the ingredients into a creamy dip. To finish, break up the bacon into small pieces and fold them into the dip. Season with salt and pepper, then you're done!
4. Fry the chips individually at 325°F for about 10 seconds and leave the oil to drip off. After the chips have fully cooled, they are ready for dipping.
These transparent chips will certainly have your guests looking twice! But it's not just all about appearance, as this invisible snack also packs a punch in the flavor department.
Are you looking for more party snack ideas? Check out our Lasagna Chips from the bonus video.