Pasta, Meatballs & Cheese In Perfect Harmony For A True Winter Warmer
When you hear the word "dome," a church or football stadium would usually come to mind. But after checking out the following recipe, you'll associate domes with pasta, sausages, and meatballs instead! Why? Read on and we'll let you in on the secret.
For the meatballs:
- 2¼ lb ground meat
- 1½ oz breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1½ oz parmesan
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
For the filling:
- 1 lb precooked penne
- 24 fl oz tomato sauce
- 9 oz sausages
- 3 oz pecorino (or parmesan)
- 5 eggs
For the dough:
- 25 oz flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fl oz water
1. To prepare the meatballs, add all the ingredients to a large bowl and knead them together with your hands.
Next, create golf ball-sized meatballs by rolling them in your hands. Fry them in a little oil until all sides are golden brown.
2. To prepare the filling, pour the tomato sauce over the penne and mix everything well. Next, fry the sausages and cut them into thin slices.
3. To prepare the dough, first sprinkle a little salt onto the flour on your worktop. Make a hollow in the center of the flour and add the eggs, oil, and water. Carefully stir this mixture using your fingers and knead it into a smooth dough.
Next, roll the dough out flat.
4. Place the rolled out dough in a heat-resistant bowl that has been greased beforehand. Add a third of the pasta inside. Place half of the sausage slices on top.
Tear the mozzarella into small pieces and add them as the next layer on top of the sausage. Add a third of the meatballs on top and grate the pecorino over them.
Next, whisk 5 eggs and pour half of the mixture into the bowl.
Repeat steps and add the rest of the pasta as the top layer.
5. Carefully pull the dough over the top of the filling and seal it. Cover everything with some aluminum foil and bake the dome in a convection oven at 350°F for 60 minutes.
Remove the foil and bake the dome for a further 30 minutes. Leave the dome to sit for about 15 minutes before serving it on a large plate.
You're wonderful filled masterpiece is finished! There should be more than enough to go around for everyone to enjoy this delectable dome. Dig in!