Cheesy Tartiflette Casserole With Bacon And Stuffed Potatoes
A tartiflette is a potato casserole made with soft cheese, such as camembert, that originated in the Savoy region of France. The basic ingredients for the classic dish include potatoes, camembert cheese, and onions. What's so special about a tartiflette casserole is that it doesn't skimp on the cheese – in fact, it gets topped with entire wheels of cheese! Of course, there are countless different ways to make a tartiflette casserole, but we think we've created the ultimate one. For this tartiflette, potatoes are hollowed out before being filled with mustard, baby dill pickles, and bacon. Then they're topped with a layer of sautéed bell peppers and onions, a layer of crème fraîche, and then finally, those camembert wheels. It's cheese lover's dream come true!
- 14 medium potatoes
- 9 baby dill pickles
- 18 bacon slices
- 9 pickle slices
- 2 tbsp mustard
For the onions & bell peppers:
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced
- 3 green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 14 oz crème fraîche
- 3 camembert cheese wheels
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water and let them cool. Slice 5 of the potatoes and "core" the remaining 9 potatoes with an apple corer, making sure to save the insides of the potatoes.
2. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Dip the baby dill pickles in mustard and wrap them in bacon. Slide one of the pickle rolls into each hollowed-out potato.
3. Dip the inner potato pieces in mustard and wrap a pickle slice and a slice of bacon around each one.
4. Line the bottom of a casserole dish with the potato slices and spread the stuffed potatoes and the wrapped inner potato pieces on top.
5. Sauté the bell peppers and onions in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and spread over the potatoes in the casserole dish.
6. Cover the bell peppers and onions with a layer of crème fraîche. Cut the camembert cheese wheels in half horizontally and place them rind side up on the crème fraîche. Transfer the casserole dish to the oven and cook at 325°F for 40 minutes.
This recipe may seem intimidating with its multiple steps, but it's completely worth it. This definitely isn't your normal potato casserole and these these flavors really pack a punch, so do yourself a favor and give this recipe a try!
Get the recipe for the Scalloped Potatoes Cake featured in the bonus video.