Sweet Milk Bread Rolls Filled With Fruity Jam And Caramelized Hazelnuts
There's a reason why bread rolls are a staple dinner side: they're utterly delicious! But what if we told you that there's actually a sweet version of dinner rolls filled with different jams and nuts? Sounds pretty incredible, right? And forget the ones at the grocery store, because they'll never compare to ones made from scratch. So for your next epic breakfast, there's nothing better to serve than these sweet milk bread rolls with your choice of 3 fillings: crunchy caramelized hazelnut, sweet blueberry jam, or tart raspberry jam. Check it out to see what all the hype is all about!
You'll Need (for 9):
For the dough:
- 4 cups flour
- 0.67 oz fresh yeast (⅓ of a 2 oz cube) or 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup powdered milk
- ½ stick butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
For the blueberry jam:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the raspberry jam:
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
For the caramelized hazelnut filling:
- 2 oz chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tbsp water
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- baking pan (13 x 9 inch)
- 2 egg yolks + 1½ tbsp milk for the egg wash
1. Add the flour, powdered milk, salt, and butter to a bowl. Dissolve the yeast in milk, add the sugar, and then add this mixture to the other ingredients in the bowl. Add an egg and mix everything together with a hand mixer. Cover the dough and let it rise for 1 hour, then divide the dough into 9 equal parts and form them into balls. Roll out the balls using a rolling pin until they're quite thin.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare the fillings. In 2 separate saucepans, bring the blueberries and raspberries to a boil along with the sugar and lemon juice. Remove the pans from the heat and let the homemade jams cool. For the nut filling, chop the hazelnuts, add them to a separate saucepan with the sugar, water, and cinnamon, and bring to a boil. Once the chopped hazelnuts start to caramelize, transfer the filling to a bowl.
3. Fill 3 of the rolled-out pieces of dough with raspberry jam, 3 with blueberry jam, and 3 with the nut filling.
4. Slightly fold the long sides of the dough inwards and then completely roll up each piece of dough, starting from the narrow side. Place all 9 rolls into a deep baking pan.
5. Mix the egg yolks and milk, brush the egg wash over the rolls, transfer the pan to the oven, and bake 25 minutes.
Our sweet milk bread rolls are extremely fluffy and taste way better than any prepackaged Danish you could get from the grocery store. Don't be intimated by all the different fillings in the recipe, these sweet rolls actually come together really well and are pretty easy to make. And hand on heart – they're worth it!