Sweet Apple Bake Straight Out Of Grandma's Kitchen
Grandmas are not only great at giving hugs, they also thrive on spoiling us with homemade treats. And this recipe certainly evokes warm childhood memories. As for hugs, any the cook chooses to give or receive at the end is up to you!
For the fruit:
- 2 lbs apples
- 1 tbsp white wine
- 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
For the cream of wheat filling:
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz cream of wheat
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp cream
- sugar-cinnamon mixture
- Wash and core the apples, then cut into thin slices. Set aside one handful of the slices and mix the remainder with white wine, the juice of one lemon, sugar and raisins.
- Heat the milk and add salt, butter, sugar, vanilla extract and cream of wheat, stirring regularly so that the milk doesn't curdle.
- While the cream of wheat is simmering, separate the eggs. Beat the whites until stiff and mix the yolks with cream.
- First add the beaten yolks to the cream of wheat, followed by the fluffy egg whites.
- Pour the cream of wheat mixture over the prepared sliced apples and combine carefully. Transfer the apple-cream of wheat mixture to a greased casserole dish.
- As a final touch, distribute the remaining apple slices over the smoothed out mixture. Bake at 340 °F for 40 minutes.
Before serving, sprinkle the warm apples with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Then it's straight to the table, where waiting faces are surely beaming!