This Cake, Takes... The Cake! It's Swedish Sandwich Cake
Today we were astounded to learn that not only do cakes not need to be sweet, but also that the Swedes are beyond creative when it comes to the kitchen. And we're talking about more than simply their amazing IKEA drawer systems. Give some Swedes a loaf of Wonder bread, and before you know it, you're looking at a rainbow of spreads with cream cheese layered in between and all around.
In Sweden, this beloved delicacy is called a Smörgåstårta. Try saying that three times fast! It may be difficult to pronounce, but the recipe isn't nearly so insurmountable. Is everyone ready to get their Scandinavi on? Let's go!
You will need:
- 4 avocados
- the juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp chives
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 red beet, grated
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups cream cheese
- 16 slices white bread
- vegetables and herbs to garnish
- Halve the avocados, remove the seeds, and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Add the chives and lemon juice, then mash with a fork and mix in 1 cup of cream cheese. In a second bowl, add the roasted red pepper and cheddar cheese and mix with 1 1/4 cup of cream cheese. In a third bowl, mix 1 1/2 cup of cream cheese with the grated red beets and honey. Season each of the three spreads with salt and pepper.
- Line the bottom of a springform pan with white bread. Then add the red beet spread followed by another layer of bread, then the red pepper cheese spread, another bread layer, and finally the avocado chive spread.
- When all the layers are complete, refrigerate for two hours. Remove the springform from the perimeter and spread the remaining cream cheese over the entire cake just as you would ice a normal cake. When the entire surface has been covered and smoothed out, decorate the cake with vegetable slices and fresh herbs.
How pretty is this cake? You can also try variations with shrimp, salmon or ham if you're looking for something even more savory. Everything is allowed, although we recommend brightly colored foods. That's half the fun of making it!
And now for the fun of eating it! We hope someone brought the vodka!