Fried Potatoes Stuffed With Meatballs And Mozzarella
To stave off any potato-related boredom, we've come up with a recipe so epic you won't believe it 'til you see it! Grab your melon baller, because you're going to need it to carve a few holes in a potato which you're then going to stuff with meatballs and mozzarella. Once that stuffed potato gets enveloped in a blanket of mashed potatoes, it gets breaded and fried – your taste buds are guaranteed to explode!
Yield: 3 potatoes
Prep Time: 30 minutes + 90 minutes cooling time
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the stuffed potatoes:
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 oz ground beef + parsley + salt & pepper to taste
- 6 mozzarella pearls
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp milk
- pinch of nutmeg
For the breading:
- bread crumbs
- melon baller
1. Boil the potatoes and let them cool. Once the potatoes are cooled, use a melon baller to carve out 6 holes in each potato – 3 on each side.
2. Transfer the potato balls to a bowl and set them aside for now.
3. Combine the ground beef, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix until well combined. Then form 12 mini meatballs from the mixture – they should be about the same size as the potato balls so they fit inside the holes in the potatoes.
4. Put 4 meatballs in the holes in each potato – 2 on each side.
5. Put 2 mozzarella pearls in the holes in each potato – 1 on each side.
6. Mash the potato balls you set aside earlier.
7. Add the egg yolk, corn starch, milk, and a generous pinch of nutmeg, and combine until smooth.
8. Press the mashed potatoes all around the sides of the stuffed potatoes until they're completely covered.
9. Use a fork to draw lines in the mashed potatoes and freeze the potatoes for 90 minutes.
10. Dredge the stuffed potatoes in flour, egg, and bread crumbs.
11. Fry the stuffed potatoes in 300°F oil for about 7-8 minutes until golden brown.
12. Serve the fried potatoes with sour cream, chives, and all the fixins' you want!
These 3 simple ingredients – potatoes, ground beef, and cheese – are a match made in foodie heaven! We bet you've never had a potato like this one before, so it's high time you got yourself to the kitchen and tried it!
Get the recipe for the Stuffed Potato Dumplings featured in the bonus video.