Stuffed Cauliflower And Cheesy Bechamel Sauce
It's true that you'd normally serve cauliflower once you've cut it up into its individual florets. Today however, we have an alternative proposal: serve it all in one piece! Stuffed with ham, cheese, and vegetables, smothered in béchamel sauce and topped with cheese, it definitely makes for a tasty dish.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
For the stuffed cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 slices of ham
- 3 slices of cheese
For the bechamel sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
salt & pepper to taste
nutmeg to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook the head of cauliflower in a pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Cut the red onion and green bell pepper into strips. Place a slice of cheese on a slice of ham, roll it up, and cut the roll in half widthwise. Repeat with the other 2 slices of ham and cheese.
- Place the cooked head of cauliflower on a baking tray. Slightly pull the florets apart and fill the spaces with the red onion strips, green bell pepper strips, and ham & cheese rolls, making sure to distribute the fillings evenly.
- For the bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in the flour with a whisk. Add the milk, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and let the sauce thicken.
- Pour the bechamel sauce over the stuffed cauliflower and sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Transfer the baking tray to a preheated oven and cook at 350°F for 20 minutes.
With so many meals to try, thank goodness cauliflower is in the supermarkets all year round!