Stuffed Brat Boats In Homemade Buns
There are so many different types of hot dogs: You've got the New York-style dog with sauerkraut and onions, then as you go further west there's the Chicago hot dog with relish and tomato in a sesame bun. And there's tons more where that came from, but we want to really take the classic dog to a new plateau. We're making our own fluffy, soft buns, and we're using brats instead of regular hot dogs – brat dogs, if you will, stuffed with cheese, sauerkraut, and chili for the best hot dog experience ever! Ballpark dogs could never compare!
For the buns:
- 1⅔ cups flour
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
For the filling:
- 3 raw brats
- cheddar cheese cubes
- shredded mozzarella
- pickle slices
- remoulade sauce
- crispy fried onions
1. First prepare the dough for the buns by combining all the ingredients in a bowl.
2. Form 3 equally large balls out of the dough, press them slightly down in your hand, and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover with a dish towel and let rest for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F and cut all 3 brats lengthwise and crosswise.
4. Turn the brats over, cut them lengthwise on this side as well, and lightly press them apart with your fingers.
5. Fill the first sausage with cheddar cubes.
6. Fill the second brat with chili and sprinkle mozzarella on top.
7. Fill the third brat with sauerkraut and sprinkle a little bit of mozzarella on top.
8. Place the 3 stuffed sausages next to the buns on the baking tray and bake for about 12-15 minutes.
9. Cut the buns lengthwise, put 1 stuffed brat into each bun, and garnish with your favorite toppings.
These brat dogs are a totally new spin on a classic hot dog while retaining all the things you love about them in the first place. The bun is soft and fluffy, while the brat is flavorful and stuffed with classic Detroit and New York-style toppings. There's no way you're not going to want to try these!
Get the recipe for the Bacon Cheeseburger Dog featured in the bonus video.