Blooming Potatoes Stuffed With Chicken Meatballs
Anyone who's ever had a blooming onion before knows exactly why the dish is also known as the "Awesome Blossom." And while it is certainly delicious, there's one problem with this appetizer... and that's exactly it — it's just an appetizer. If you want the same decadent experience, but as a main dish, then stuffed blooming potatoes in a bed of tomato sauce and baked cheese is the way to go!
Yield: 5 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
For the blooming potatoes:
- 5 medium potatoes
- chicken meatballs
- 1-2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 black olives
For the chicken meatballs:
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 parsley stems
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
1. Peel the potatoes and cut off the lower sections so that they can stand upright. Make an incision at the top center of each potato and cut about ⅔ of the way down. Make 3 more incisions at the 45°, 90°, and 135° marks, making sure to only cut about ⅔ of the way down.
2. Heat some cooking oil in a deep pot and fry the potatoes. Place the fried potatoes on paper towels to soak up excess oil.
3. Chop the chicken breast, onion, garlic, and parsley into smaller pieces and add them to a blender or food processor. Add the paprika, curry powder, and pepper and blend until smooth.
4. Fill the fried potatoes with the ground chicken filling and make meatballs from what's leftover.
5. Pour the tomato sauce into a casserole dish, set the blooming potatoes upright in the sauce, and spread the chicken meatballs around the dish. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top and place a black olive in the opening of each blooming potato. Transfer the casserole dish to a preheated oven and cook at 350°F for 25 minutes.
As always, you can let your creativity run wild when it comes to trying out different fillings. Everyone will be so focused on how beautiful these potato blossoms are anyways!
Get the recipe for the Potato Stacks Casserole featured in the bonus video.