Spoons at the ready for the Strawberry Poke Cake!
While intricately arranged Napoleon slices and layer cakes are wonderful to look at, it can be quite tricky getting them to look just right. Thankfully, there's no such trouble with this delicious Strawberry Poke Cake — all you need is a wooden spoon and a fairly steady hand to create a wonderfully attractive design. And of course, it also tastes as good as it looks...
For the dough:
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 9 oz butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- about 8 Graham crackers
For the filling:
- 7 oz strawberries
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 3 ½ fl oz condensed milk, sweetened
- 1 ⅔ fl oz milk
- 1 ⅔ cup whipping cream
- Apart from the Graham crackers, add all of the ingredients for the dough into a large bowl and mix them with a handheld blender.
- Place the Graham crackers on the bottom of a rectangular casserole dish and spoon the dough on top. Smooth out the dough with a spoon and bake it at 320°F for 45 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon to "poke" holes into the cake at regular intervals.
- To prepare the filling, blend the strawberries, leaving three or four for later, and add the rest of the ingredients. Then ladle the mixture onto the cake. Make sure that the mixture finds its way into the holes.
- Now spoon the whipped cream on top of the mixture and level it out. Cut the remaining strawberries into thin slices and place them on top of the cream. Sprinkle some cookie crumbs between the strawberries for the finishing touch.
Now that's one good-looking cake! If you enjoy making desserts in this way, you may want to try out other fillings. Most fruits work just as well as strawberries and vanilla pudding could be used for the filling. The possibilities are endless!