This cute strawberry cream danish is just the thing for artistic chefs
Even if summertime is drawing to a close, you can still keep the season alive for a little while longer with some delightful summer-inspired recipes. For example: How about a warm flaky danish with a fruity strawberry cream filling? The key to making these requires you to fold the pastry dough in a simple, yet impressive way.
You'll need the following ingredients:
- 1 package of puff pastry (ready-made)
- 3.5 oz of cream cheese
- 3 tbsp of strawberry jam
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 8 large strawberries
- 1 tbsp of melted butter
- 2 tbsp of sugar
Here's what you do:
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut it into four squares. Now cut another square inside of the squares you just made, keeping just a little space between your new smaller square and the edge of the larger one. Two of the corners should be cut all the way through and two should still be partially intact. Otherwise the inner square would fall out.
- Take a corner of the outer square where the inner square was cut all the way through and fold it to the opposite side. You do the same with the other side. This creates the diamond pattern. Now prick the inside of the square pastry with a fork.
- Mix the cream cheese and strawberry jam together and add the mixture to the middle of the pastry dough.
- Use a brush to coat the edges of the pastries with milk.
- Now cut the strawberries into thin slices and place them on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Coat the strawberries with butter and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Finally, place the pastries on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle a bit more sugar on top and bake for 355°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Now doesn't that taste just like summer? Here's a little tip: If you like, you can swap out the strawberry jam for another jam of your choice. The same goes for the strawberries as well. This way you can customize your danish to taste just the way you want it to. And you may even have your own creative way of folding the pastry dough.