A "Five-Star" Meal That's Perfect For The Holiday Season
In the lead-up to Christmas, our palettes are often bombarded with a whole variety of sweet treats, be it gingerbread men, pecan pie, candied fruits or holiday spritz. But if you're looking for a savory festive treat this year, look no further than our star of the advent season!
For the bigger stars:
- 5 hot dogs
- 10 toothpicks
- 17½ oz potatoes (starchy)
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped up
- 3 egg yolks
- salt & pepper
- 3½ oz grated cheese
For the smaller stars:
- star-shaped cookie cutters
- 1 roll of puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 2 oz grated cheddar
1. Cut five hot dogs down the middle and then slice them in half lengthways. Just be sure not to completely cut them in half.
2. Now take the 10 toothpicks, stick them through the hot dogs and carefully "open" them up. Form the hot dogs into two large stars.
3. Now boil the potatoes, leave them to cool, peel them, mash them with parsley, and add the salt, pepper and egg yolk. Fill the hot dog stars with the mashed potato, grate cheese on top and place an egg yolk on the center of each star. Bake everything at 350°F for 10 minutes.
4. For the smaller stars, lay the puff pastry on a baking tray and use to cookie cutter to make as many stars as possible. Whisk an egg and brush the mixture onto all the stars. Sprinkle some cheese onto each star.
5. After baking the smaller stars at 350°F for 10 minutes and removing the toothpicks from the hot dogs, you can serve up your five-star meal!
What a fantastically fun treat that's perfect for the festive season! This meal is certainly a star in the making...