Cute, compact and cheesy: Spinach Squares
'Tis the season to be jolly and that means the party calendar is filling up quickly. When it's your turn to play host or hostess, here's a hearty recipe that's sure to get stellar reviews. After all, what's not to love about a doughy, flaky parcel of ham, spinach and cheese? Did we mention cheese? ;-)
You will need (for 6 portions):
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 6.5 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 6 slices ham, cut into small squares
- 3.5 oz shredded mozzarella
- 1 roll ready made puff pastry dough
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Drain the spinach and add to the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
- Put the contents of the pan into a mixing bowl and add the cream cheese, milk, ham, and half of the mozzarella.
- Roll the puff pastry dough out and divide into six equal portions.
- Place about two heaping tablespoons of spinach mixture in the middle of each puff pastry square. Roll the corners of the dough to the middle and pinch each side together so that the filling is contained on all sides.
- Brush each square with egg and sprinkle the middle with mozzarella. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.
If more than a few friends are on their way, you can always make these treats more bite size so that everyone has a chance to enjoy them. And if you're expecting vegetarian (or non-ham-eating) guests, a spinach and cheese only version is just as tasty. Happy hosting!