A delicious veggie Spinach Roll for lunch — a recipe with spinach and cheese
As this recipe shows, vegetarian meals can be really tasty. It doesn't take a lot of hard work either — you just need to chop up a few vegetables, mix the right ingredients, and then you're on your way...
For the spinach pastry:
- olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 16 oz spinach
- ½ cup flour
- 3.5 oz breadcrumbs
- 3.5 oz grated cheese
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- 4 beaten egg whites
For the filling:
- olive oil
- 3.5 oz finely chopped mushrooms
- 2 finely grated carrots
- 2.5 oz grated cheese
For the topping:
- 1.75 oz grated mozzarella (baked on top)
- First, sweat the onions with olive in a pan and add the garlic. Then add the spinach and fry it until it is cooked.
- Now spoon the mixture into a bowl before adding the flour, breadcrumbs, cheese, and herbs. Before mixing everything, add the egg yolks with the salt and pepper to the bowl.
- Take another bowl and beat the egg whites until they're stiff. Next, fold the beaten egg whites into the spinach mix.
- Spread the mixture in a square-shaped pan that you've greased beforehand. Bake the spinach pastry for 20 minutes at 320°F.
- Next, fry the mushrooms with the carrots and some oil in a pan.
- Once baked, place the spinach square on a clean dishcloth and spoon the mushroom and carrot mix onto the center of it. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top.
- It's now time to roll up your spinach square using the dishcloth. To finish, sprinkle the mozzarella on top and place the spinach roll back in the oven so that the cheese melts into it.
This dish proves that you can create surprisingly great-tasting meals without using meat. It's so simple to make and helps toward your 5 a Day, too. Now dig in before it gets cold!