Spinach Ricotta Pastry Swirl With A Camembert Fondue Center
The sun is rising later and going to bed earlier, meaning it's the perfect time of year for some comfort food. If you're looking for something sunny that will bring a smile to your face and leave your tummy full, let the sunshine in with this tasty appetizer! This spinach ricotta pastry swirl will warm your heart and make the upcoming winter months easier to endure.
For the dough:
- 4 cups flour
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt
For the spinach ricotta filling:
- 12 oz frozen spinach, thawed
- 1⅓ cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- salt & pepper
- 1 camembert wheel
- 1 whisked egg for the egg wash
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Knead the flour, water, vegetable oil, and salt into a smooth dough and let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Squeeze out the thawed spinach so that it is as dry as possible. Then mix it with the ricotta cheese, egg, and parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Divide the dough in half and roll out both portions into equal circles. Place the camembert cheese wheel in the middle of one dough circle and spoon the spinach ricotta mixture onto the dough in a circle around the cheese, about 1 inch in from the edge.
3. Brush the egg wash over the uncovered portion of dough.
4. Drape the second dough circle over the first and seal the edges with a fork.
5. Make 20-25 evenly-spaced incisions around the dough, without touching the camembert cheese wheel in the middle.
6. Rotate the pieces 180°.
7. Brush the egg wash over the entire surface and cook for 40 minutes.
8. Carefully remove the dough lid from the cheese wheel so you can dip the spinach ricotta pastry swirls in the camembert fondue.
You can find the recipe for the Salmon Spinach Roll featured in the bonus video here.