Make your Christmas hearty and green: Spinach Potato Pie
Anyone who grew up with Popeye the Sailor Man knows that eating your spinach makes you "strong to the finish." Despite this compelling advertising, it isn't always easy to convince the kids (whether five or 45!) to embrace the leafy greens. But with a little help from your friends Mr. Cheese and Dr. Potato, that's sure to change.
You will need:
- 2 large potatoes
- 12 oz spinach, cooked and drained
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3.5 oz feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cut one of the potatoes lengthwise and the other across in thin slices.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and brown the potato slices on both sides.
- Cover the bottom of a springform pan with the smaller potato slices, saving the longer slices for the edges.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl until you achieve a consistent mixture and pour into the potato shell. Bake the pie in the oven for 30 minutes at 320°F.
If desired, you could add some diced onions and nutmeg to the mixture or experiment with bolder flavored cheeses.
Before they've finished off the first slice, your family will be hooked on spinach. If you've awakened a new love for this healthiest of green vegetables, feel free to continue the good spinach vibes with a Spinach Sunburst. Enjoy!