Kissing Fish Pockets Filled With Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, Feta & Spinach
- pizza dough (⌀ 12 inch)
- ⅓ cup cream cheese
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 oz spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp feta cheese
- 2 tbsp almond slivers
- 3 oz smoked salmon
- 1 whisked egg for the egg wash
- 1 black olive
- parchment paper
- pizza cutter
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, roll out the pizza dough on top, and make an incision down the middle of the dough from both sides, making sure to leave about a 1-2 inch space in the middle intact.
2. Mix the cream cheese and dill weed, season with pepper, and spread half of the mixture on each side of the dough, as shown in the video.
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat, sweat the onion and garlic, add the spinach, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the spinach reduces in size. Briefly roast the almond slivers in a separate pan.
4. Spread the spinach over the cream cheese.
5. Crumble the feta cheese over the spinach.
6. Sprinkle the roasted almonds over the feta cheese.
7. Lay a piece of smoked salmon on each side.
8. Whisk the egg and brush the egg wash around the dough edges.
9. Fold the top and bottom of the dough halves together over the filling and press the edges of the dough together with your fingers.
10. Press a fork along the outer dough edges to seal them shut.
11. Use a pizza cutter to remove a small strip from the top and bottom of each pocket to create fins. Decorate the pockets with the dough scraps to create fish gills.
12. Use a straw to create scales in the dough.
13. Cut a black olive in half and use the pieces as eyes. Brush the egg wash over the dough and cook for 15 minutes.
You can find the recipe for the Salmon Spinach Roll featured in the bonus video here.